WIP Wednesday

Happy Wednesday on this Friday morning! Apologies for the radio silence last week. I was on holiday and decided to put down all technology and just enjoy family time. This week have some exciting new stuff to show you and some progress shots of what’s on the table.

image
Rocket’s face is really coming along. The details on the mini are so small that I’ve had to try and guess where some features might be.
image
He’s almost done in the back but I need to tone down the brightness on his arm. I’ll probably do a slightly darker glaze since I only want it shaded a touch.
image
The next step will be to finish the fur and spray a Matte spray to protect it. Then I’ll go to work on the clothing. I always work from the inside out and I like to finish one part of the module before going to the next layer.

This is Rocket Racoon from Knight Miniatures. Because of his size he’s been tough to paint. But slow and steady wins the race and he’s starting to show some really cool potential. I’ve also been taking progress shots so that in future articles you can really see the whole process.

image

This is a wonderful piece that just came in. It’s from My Way Miniatures and should make for an awesome Ninja Turtles diorama. It’s not as expensive as you would think and you can check it out at mywayminiatures.com

image

This is a bust called Tribe Chief Marrow and I love it! It’s from Forge Monkey sold by FER miniatures and it’s just covered in insane details. It’s a little more expensive but worth it for the quality. You can see more at ferminiatures.com

image

This final piece I grabbed from a hobby store and it had no packaging so I’m not sure who made it. It’s wonderful though and I was able to get two of them to try out separate color schemes. If you know what miniature this is give a shout out in the comments. I’d love to see what other work this person has done. Im not sure I’ve ever done a piece with so many different details.

Thats it for this week hopefully I’ll get settled back in and have some new stuff to show you for next Wed. Until then happy painting!

 

Advertisements

Painting Mice and Mystics Lily

My apologies for missing yesterday’s WIP post. It was in part due to the exciting news that Lily is no longer a Work In Progress but a finished piece and the next in our Painting Mice&Mystics series.

image

Lily is my personal favorite of the tiny heros you can play as. She doesn’t appear in the game right away but shows up in later scenarios to save the day.

image
The bases will be left unpainted from now on because I’ve decided to rebase all the pieces after they’ve been finished.
image
Sorry about the shadow of the phone. I’m saving up for a nice light box but until then the awkwardly lighted pictures will continue :p
image
The cape is done with a glazing technique. That means I watered down the original color and slowly added more layers. For the final layers I added a little white and yellow and a dark green wash in the folds.

Im very happy with the progress that I’ve made with blending, glazing, and building leatherwork. If I look back at older pieces, I can see the two brush technique really improving with each piece. The Two Brush Technique is where you take two similar shades of colors, paint them side by side and use a 2nd brush to blend the middle together.

image
The bow and arrows are birch tipped with red leather straps and feathers.
image
The white wood makes the red feathers really pop! It also helps break up the red and green and help keep the piece from the dreaded Christmas look (something you risk anytime you put red and green together)

I also was given the great idea of painting Lily’s bow in Birch by a friend. Never painting that kind of wood before I did some research and I came across a great article by Dagger & Brush. If you haven’t checked out this blog yet, but you love war gaming, you should definitely head over there. I’ll include a link at the bottom to the Birch tutorial. It’s easy to understand and has some great example pictures of the technique. Although his came out a very realistic Birch while mine is probably a step above camo, I’m still really happy with it as a first try. I hope to try more weapons and armor in unusual materials more often.

Here’s a link to the Dagger and Brush guide to painting Birch

WIP Wednesday

It’s been a crazy week with the launching of a new Game Night and Food blog I’m participating in. You can check it out at dungeonsdinners.wordpress.com It focuses on throwing great parties based around tabletop games and some very talented cooks are donating their skills to the project. Since I spent most of my days off working on recipes and editing, I only have two pieces of news for this Wed.

First off I’ve made some progress on the next figure for the Mice&Mystics series.

image

imageimage

Please forgive how dark the pictures are. It’s a miserable dark rainy day and I really only have one window in my apartment to start with. Lily should be done by next week. Finally I will be almost done with the heroes and ready to move on to villains.

The next piece of news is a really cool community project being done by Massive Voodoo. They are asking all painters to please send as many painted zombies as possible for a massive Diorama they are working on. Its set break the record of most zombie minis on a miniature work ever done. Plus the whole painting community from around the world will be adding their personalities to it. Check out    massivevoodoo.blogspot.com for more details and instructions on how to participate

image

Here are my submissions. They are a few pieces stolen from the game Zombies!!!

Thats about it for this week! Look out for the upcoming post Painting Lily from Mice&Mystics

Here’s the link to the zombie community project!